Monday, January 26, 2015

Day 4

"Silence is not an option"
~ Paula Lebovics

Today we spent the day touring Auschwitz I, one of the three major concentration camps at Auschwitz.  While it was originally built to be a work camp for prisoners, it soon became a death camp.

1. I took this picture of the number of people who died at Auschwitz. How do you think the Nazis were able to achieve such a plan?





However, while so many people died there, I think that the thing that amazes me most is that people were able to survive and continue on with their lives. As we walked through the camp, several survivors and their family members were touring the camp as well. Talk about strength!

2. If you were a survivor of Auschwitz, would you return to visit the camp? Why or why not? If so, who would you bring with you?

The camp was liberated by the Russian army on January 27th, 1945. I can only imagine the feelings the survivors had when they found out their time of suffering at the camp was over. We have had the opportunity to talk to some of the surviors while we are here, and their stories are so overwhelming. One of the survivors named Paula Lebovics has been with our group the entire time.

3. Go to USC Shoah Foundation Videos. Click on Auschwitz and watch the testimony of Paula Lebovics. In 3-5 sentences, describe her reaction to the liberation. (Remember- she was only 11 years old when they were liberated).

It will take me awhile to truly understand everything that I have learned and saw here. However, I do know that it has changed me. The strength of the people I have met is astounding.

When we first entered Auschwitz, there is a sign that says "Arbeit Macht Frei." In German, this means, "Work will set you free." The Germans used it as part of their deception for when people entered the camp.  Part of me wanted to take down that sign and replace it with something that would celebrate the survivors (on a side note- people did steal the sign from Auschwitz and Dachau- read about it here: Sign Stolen from Concentration Camps). 


4. If you could create a sign to hang at the front of Auschwitz today, what would it say? 


Tomorrow we will attend the commemoration ceremony with the survivors. I will update more then! 








No comments:

Post a Comment